Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church / Minnekirken
Minnekirken is located at 2614 N. Kedzie Boulevard in an
area known to Chicagoans as "Logan Square." Today,
Minnekirken is the only remaining Norwegian language
church in Chicago. While the church web site is still
available, the best/latest information is available
through their Facebook
page . Website page -> www.minnekirken-chicago.org
2614 N. Kedzie Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60647 MAP
(773) 252-7335 (church hall)
Rev. David M. Schoenknecht email
Services: Church services are held each Sunday at 11:00 a.m., some of which include Norwegian Liturgy and Hymns. Headsets are available for the hard-of-hearing. Every 4th Sunday is "Fantastisk 4th Family Worship and Sunday School."
Bible Study: Every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. Come join
Pastor's study that delves into each Sunday's readings a
week ahead of time.
Every November: (It's always the Saturday before
Thanksgiving). Don't miss Minnekirken's
Annual "Taste of Norway": Come for
traditional Christmas cookies, julekake, Norwegian goods
of all kinds, traditional pea soup luncheon and
fellowship. Doors open right at 10:00
a.m. Arrive early for widest selections!
Minnekirken is located in the heart of Logan Square at
2614 N. Kedzie. The church is 50 steps from the
Kedzie side of the Blue Line Station.
Norwegian Cooking Classes: dates to be
Karena (224) 622-3606
Phone in church kitchen: 773 252-7335
FOR ALL CHURCH DETAILS, EVENTS, AND ACTIVITIES; ALWAYS
CHECK WITH MINNEKIRKEN FOR THE LATEST DETAILS!
The neighborhood surrounding the church is typical of Chicago's North Side neighborhoods and reflective of a diversity of languages and cultures. Minnekirken serves as a reminder of a neighborhood heritage long past in which Scandinavians played a significant part. During the first half of this century there were several Norwegian language churches in the Logan Square area and over 20 Norwegian churches in the metropolitan area.
Minnekirken, which means "Memorial Church" in Norwegian, was first built by Norwegian immigrants as Christ Church in 1912. In 1934, the name was changed to its present name, in part because of the war memorial which was dedicated that year in the center of the circular thoroughfare located across from the church.